Server rooms are important areas for many businesses. They are used to store, power and operate business-critical computer servers and their associated components. Server rooms come in all shapes and sizes and provide the operational and environmental components and services to operate enterprise-class servers.
Each server stored in these areas usually consists of basic CPU components and lack any display or input device but can be centrally accessed and managed through a server administrator system which is typically found outside of the server room.
Typically, a small server room might contain around 10 servers, while larger server rooms can contain several hundred servers and incorporate entire buildings.
Regardless of its size, a server room is designed to provide a continuous and redundant supply of electric power, backup or alternate power, lighting and air conditioning, and is monitored by at least one server administrator.
Servers are integral to a business’s IT infrastructure. Any interruption of the IT infrastructure could cause system downtime, loss of productivity as well as loss in revenue. Therefore, it is essential that fast and reliable fire detection is in place to provide the earliest possible warning of fire.
What are the Challenges?
Providing reliable fire detection for this type of environment is not an easy feat. There are varying challenges to overcome to ensure that the system installed is able to operate efficiently and provide appropriate warnings.
- Air Conditioning
- The movement of smoke, introduced into the environment by air conditioning units used to cool the equipment, can make it difficult for traditional type detectors to pickup.
- High Airflows
- Server rooms are designed to allow air to flow freely around them to help keep the contained equipment cool. High airflow tends to disperse smoke quickly, leading to a lower level of detectable smoke.
- Server cabinets can interfere with the movement of smoke towards detection points. This can also pose a problem for more traditional detection types.
- Early detection of any fire-related incident allows for a greater chance of suppressing fire before it can take hold. This is essential in preserving valuable data, valuable assets and business continuity.
Handpicked Products for a Small Server Room
A VESDA aspirating smoke detection system provides an accurate and high-sensitivity detection solution for small server rooms.
Many spot type detectors rely on air currents within a facility to carry the smoke to the detector before it can detect a fire. However, aspirating smoke detectors use powerful fans to actively draw air, via a network of aspirating smoke detection pipes, from the protected area into a detection chamber. This means they are able to overcome high or unpredictable airflow and detect the presence of smoke even during the incipient phase of a fire.
A series of filters can be used to remove any contaminants from the air before it enters the detection chamber. This not only prolongs the life of the detection elements but also reduces the risk of false alarm.
Aspirating smoke detectors can be installed in an area separate to the protected area which makes installation, maintenance and testing easy and non-disruptive.
Aspirating Smoke Detector and Power Supply
VESDA VLF Aspirating Smoke Detector
VESDA VLF detectors from Xtralis provide exceptional very early warning smoke detection for small, business-critical spaces, such as server rooms and cabinets. These unique detectors continually draw air into a sampling chamber via discrete sampling holes in an aspirating pipe network. The air is filtered before entering the detection chamber, where light scattering technology detects even the smallest amount of smoke.
Xtralis 0.5A Output Power Supply
Xtralis Power Supply Units are technically matched to provide sufficient current and battery charging capacity for Xtralis aspirating smoke detectors (ASD), meeting the requirements of EN54-4. These power supply units also perfectly match Xtralis’ range of aspirating smoke detection in style and appearance.
ASD Pipe & Fittings
VESDA Red ABS 25mm Pipe
Our 25mm red ABS pipe is designed specifically for the aspirating smoke detection industry.
VESDA Red ABS 25mm Socket
Sockets are used to connect 2 lengths of pipe and are fixed using ABS solvent cement.
VESDA Red ABS 25mm Removable Union
The removable union is used to break sections of pipe for maintenance purposes.
VESDA Red ABS 25mm 90° Sweeping Bend
The 90° sweeping bends are used to divert pipework around obstructions and reduce air loss.
VESDA Red ABS 25mm Air Sampling Test Point
Air sampling test points allow for functional smoke testing of aspirating smoke detection systems and are typically located at the end of a sampling pipe network.
VESDA Red ABS 25mm x 3/4″ Pipe Clip
This pipe clip has been designed to secure air-sampling pipe using a quick clamp action without the need for additional fixings. Additional fixing nuts and side rod connectors complement the pipe clip for greater installation flexibility.
Red 25mm Flush Capillary Kit
Flush capillary kits are used where the main air sampling pipe network is installed above a suspended ceiling and detection is required within the area below.
Why Choose Eurofyre?
- Complete System Supplier
- Eurofyre is a complete system supplier and has been a major Xtralis technical wholesaler since 2007. This means we can offer expert advice and supply all aspects of fire detection including aspirating smoke detection systems, conventional and addressable fire alarm control panels and linear heat detection.
- Pipework Design
- Eurofyre can also provide assistance with aspirating pipe network design to ensure optimum network performance and installation quality.
- Demonstration and Training
- We have a sophisticated training facility where we offer demonstrations and expert training on a range of systems, including VESDA VLF aspirating smoke detection systems.
- After-Sales Support
- Eurofyre prides itself on providing after-sales care and support that is second to none. We offer both on-site and telephone assistance to help you ensure that your system is fully operational and working at its best.
For more information about VESDA aspirating smoke detection, or to discuss any of the other products that Eurofyre have to offer, please feel free to get in touch either by phone on +44 (0) 1329 835 024, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via the online enquiry form situated on our contact page.