Multi-storey and underground car parks are widely used to provide sufficient parking where space may be limited. By taking a multi-storey approach, multiple cars and other vehicles can be parked on a smaller, more conveniently located plot of land.
Car parks like these are often used by thousands of people every day and are integral to the operation and success of many businesses. Therefore, fire safety must be seriously considered to ensure the safety of everyone using the facility.
Risks and Challenges
Vehicles themselves pose the biggest risk to car park facilities. Mechanical or electrical faults can easily cause a fire, and there is no way to guarantee the condition of every vehicle that enters the car park. Fuel spills, overheating, exhaust fumes and oil spills can also create the perfect conditions for a fire to spread.
There are also many challenges to overcome when designing a suitable fire detection solution for multi-storey car parks:
- High Airflows and Ventilation
- Multi-storey car parks usually have open sides which means outside air can pass through them. On the contrary, underground parking requires active ventilation to remove exhaust fumes and circulate air; both of these situations create a challenge for most fire detection types.
- Large Open Spaces
- Large open spaces also pose a variety of challenges for smoke detection. These areas can cause smoke stratification, affect the way that smoke develops and cause delayed response times.
- False Alarms
- Exhaust fumes, dust and other debris can all cause false alarms. If appropriate detection technology isn’t used, nuisance alarms will occur frequently and affect the reliability of the fire alarm system.
- Ceiling Cavities
- Due to the weight that these structures support, reinforced ceilings are used to help maintain the integrity of the building. These ceilings often have lots of cavities which, unless a detector is installed in each cavity, can leave some areas without coverage.
Handpicked Products for a Car Park Application
FyreLine Linear Heat Detection provides the ideal solution for protecting multi-storey and underground car parks from fire. Linear heat sensing cable can be installed around the ceiling of the structure and can detect heat at any point along its length. It is not affected by airflow or atmospheric contaminants and, therefore, provides reliable, fast and cost-effective fire detection for multi-storey and underground car parks.
FyreLine Digital provides fixed heat detection at temperature ratings of 68°C, 88°C, 105°C or 185°C. A complete system, suitable for car park applications, can be made up of the following:
The FyreLine Digital Interface Module is a dual-zone module that can monitor up to two zones of digital linear heat detection cable.
In a fire, or overheat, event the FyreLine Digital Controller calculates and displays the distance along the cable to the alarm point.
FyreLine Digital End-of-Line and Test Switch units can monitor up to two LHD cables or zones. EOL units are used together with interface modules to terminate line detection cable.
These End-of-Line units also incorporate a test switch that allows the user to easily simulate trouble, fault and alarm conditions.
FyreLine Digital PVC Linear Heat detection cable is well suited for car park applications.
FyreLine Digital heat sensing cable is available with rated temperatures of 68°C, 88°C, 105°C or 185°C.
FyreLine Analogue heat detection monitors for significant increases in temperature, providing both pre-alarm and alarm, and is fully resettable
The FyreLine Analogue Controller is designed for use with FyreLine Analogue heat sensing cable.
The controller monitors the resistance of the cable which changes as a function of temperature. In the event of a change in temperature, the controller triggers either a pre-alarm or alarm.
FyreLine Analogue PVC Linear Heat Detection Cable is well suited for car park applications.
FyreLine Analogue Heat Sensing cable can monitor for changes in temperature and provide pre-alarm and alarm warnings.
Power Supplies and Accessories
These cost-effective fire alarm system power supply units provide a full rated current at 27.6V DC with an additional current for battery charging. These power supplies also support intelligent battery charging and monitoring using Elmdene’s EcoCharge technology and independent volt-free outputs to report mains failure and battery faults, charger faults or loss of output reports.
These units are suitable for both FyreLine Analogue and FyreLine Digital.
There are a range of clips and mounting accessories available for FyreLine to ensure ease of installation and optimum performance.
Please note: Quick Release T-Clips are only suitable for regions where metal fixings are not mandatory.
Why Choose Eurofyre?
- Complete System Supplier
- Eurofyre is a complete system supplier which means we can offer expert advice and supply all aspects of fire detection including linear heat detection and its associated products.
- Demonstration and Training
- We have a sophisticated training facility where we offer demonstrations and expert training on a range of systems, including the FyreLine linear heat detection systems.
- After-Sales Support
- Eurofyre prides itself on providing after-sales care and support that is second to none. We offer both on-site and telephone assistance to help you ensure that your system is fully operational and working at its best.
For more information about Linear Heat Detection, or to discuss any of the other products that Eurofyre have to offer, please feel free to get in touch either by phone on +44 (0) 1329 835 024, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via the online enquiry form situated on our contact page.