The leisure and hospitality sector encomnpasses a broad range of fields within the service industry such as lodging, food services, event planning, theme parks, transportation and other tourism oriented facilities and services. These can include: hotels, cinemas, theatres, swimming pools, museums, restaurants and many more.
Leisure and hospitality facilities are open to the general public and can welcome a huge number of visitors each day. They vary in size with some spanning across multiple floors and buildings and others consisting of just one room. Some facilities have overnight guests that can sometimes stay for weeks or even months, while others have a typical visit time of just a couple of hours.
Regardless of the facility, they all need to protect their assets and have a duty to ensure the safety of their visiting guests. Therefore, it is essential that suitable fire detection and alarm systems are in place.
What are the Risks?
There are a variety of fire risks associated with the leisure and hospitality industry. These include:
- Staff and Visitors
- Leisure and hospitality venues can see high volumes of workers and visitors. High levels of foot fall can cause issues when trying to keep areas free of clutter; this not only increases the risk of fire, but can also hinder efficient evacuation.
- Poor Housekeeping
- If combustible materials, such as general waste, public bins or packaging are not cleared away or stored correctly they can cause fire to spread more quickly. This too can obstruct fire escapes.
- Hospitality and leisure buildings can be susceptible to arson attacks. It is also common for fires to be caused by carelessness.
- Electrical Faults
- Electrical equipment and appliances can be prone to electrical faults which can lead to fire.
- Building or Maintenance Work
- Building and maintenance work can increase the risk of fire if workers are not diligent. Removal of doors while work is conducted can also lead to an increased risk of fire.
What are the Challenges?
- Limited Access
- Fire detection systems in public spaces can be difficult to access for maintenance, testing and replacement. Therefore, a low maintenance fire detection system would be the preferred option.
- Installation Time
- Fire alarm installation is often time consuming and disruptive. The longer the system takes to install, the more downtime the business will endure.
- False Alarms
- False alarms can lead to unnecessary evacuation. In large buildings with lots of visitors, this can cause a big disruption which ultimately leads to a loss of profit.
- Hospitality and leisure buildings often need to maintain a clean and appealing appearance. Therefore, it is helpful for fire detection systems to be discrete. Older buildings may also be protected and their traditional aesthetics must be preserved.
- Cooling and Heating Systems
- Cooling and heating systems used in leisure and hospitality facilities can cause unpredictable airflow, making it much more difficult for traditional detectors to detect the presence of smoke.
Aspirating smoke detection (ASD) provides the ideal solution for protecting buildings in the leisure and hospitality sector from fire. It is cost-effective, reliable, discrete and easy-to-install.
ASD uses powerful fans to draw air from the protected areas via a network of sampling pipes. This means that it is unaffected by unpredictable airflows, can detect fires extremely quickly (often before smoke is even visible to the human eye) and that detection units can be installed outside of the protected area for easy access.
The VESDA range delivers the most advanced aspirating smoke detection systems on the market today. Thanks to continuous research and development from Xtralis, ASD has grown from being a specialist and niche technology to becoming an essential part of the fire detection industry. Xtralis’ most recent range of detectors, VESDA-E, sets the benchmark for performance, reliability and stability.
The detectors in the VESDA range that are most commonly used in the hospitality and leisure industry include:
VESDA-E VEP Aspirating Smoke Detection
VESDA-E VEP detectors are built on Xtralis’ FlairTM detection technology, a revolutionary detection chamber, to deliver very early warning of fire, improved rejection of nuisance alarms, higher stability and increased longevity.
VESDA-E VES Aspirating Smoke Detection
VESDA-E VES detectors are similar to the VEP. However, they also include a special valve mechanism that enables addressability across 4 pipes/sectors. This enables a single zone to be divided into four separate sub-zones, which enables the user to locate the source of smoke. Once the first sector has reached the alarm level, the detector continues to sample from all sectors to monitor fire growth.
VESDA-E VEU Aspirating Smoke Detection
VESDA-E VEU detectors have an ultra-wide sensitivity range and provision for more sampling holes to deliver increased coverage in high-airflow applications. Longer linear pipe runs and extended branched pipe network configurations cater perfectly to hospitality and leisure applications with higher ceilings providing an increased coverage by up to 80% whilst allowing convenient detector mounting for ease of service and maintenance.
VESDA-E VEA Aspirating Smoke Detection
VESDA-E VEA combines the reliability of VESDA early warning smoke detection with the added ability to provide pinpoint addressability. Once a fire is detected the system uses a rotary valve to individually test each sampling point, allowing the detector to accurately pinpoint the location of a fire.
Why Choose Eurofyre?
- Xtralis Gold Partner
- Eurofyre has ‘Gold Channel Partner’ status with Xtralis – the market leader in aspirating smoke detection. This recognition displays our level of commitment, including excellent customer service and competitive pricing.
- Complete System Supplier
- Eurofyre is a complete system supplier and has been a major Xtralis technical wholesaler since 2007. This means we can offer expert advice and supply all aspects of fire detection including aspirating smoke detection systems, conventional and addressable fire alarm control panels and linear heat detection.
- Pipework Design
- Eurofyre can also provide assistance with aspirating pipe network design to ensure optimum network performance and installation quality.
- Demonstration and Training
- We have a sophisticated training facility where we offer demonstrations and expert training on a range of systems, including VESDA-E aspirating smoke detection systems.
- After-Sales Support
- Eurofyre prides itself on providing after-sales care and support that is second to none. We offer both on-site and telephone assistance to help you ensure that your system is fully operational and working at its best.
For more information about VESDA aspirating smoke detection, or to discuss any of the other products that Eurofyre have to offer, please feel free to get in touch either by phone on +44 (0) 1329 835 024, by email to [email protected] or via the online enquiry form situated on our contact page.