Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odourless, colourless, toxic, flammable gas formed by the incomplete combustion of carbon. Carbon monoxide can occur in the home through faulty equipment such as gas ovens, heaters and fire places. If CO is released into the atmosphere and enters the bloodstream, it can have a catastrophic effect and cause carbon monoxide poisoning, which if not treated quickly and effectively could be fatal.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon monoxide poisoning cuts off the oxygen supply in the body, meaning cells and tissue fail, and the body becomes no longer responsive. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to that of a common flu or food poisoning; however, CO poisoning does not raise the body’s temperature. Some symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Stomach pain
Who is at Risk of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
There is no exception to those at risk of developing carbon monoxide poisoning, especially for those around equipment that involves gas such as grills, boilers, water heaters, paint fumes, blocked or faulty car exhausts and chimneys.
Pets tend to be the first to show signs of CO poisoning as they are smaller than the average person, meaning they can be affected quicker than us. Seek professional advice if you start to see signs within your pets or young children who haven’t had a previous medical condition.
How to Avoid the Risks
As carbon monoxide is both colourless and odourless, it is impossible to detect without having the correct CO detection systems in place. Therefore, it is of utmost importance that you have an effective carbon monoxide detector to detect the rise in CO levels within your home or other environments such as the workplace, cars and garages.
In 2015, a set of Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms Regulations were approved by Parliament and put in place to ensure that private sector landlords keep their properties safe. The regulations include:
- A minimum of one CO alarm must be correctly installed in every storey of their rental property that is used for living.
- Landlords must carry out alarm checks to ensure their alarms are working correctly at the start of each new tenancy.
- One CO alarm must be installed within any and every room that is used as living accommodation where solid fuel is used or is present.
Failing to comply with these regulations can result in a £5,000 fine and damage to the landlord’s reputation, as well risk human life.
What is the Solution?
In order to keep your property safe from carbon monoxide and comply with current regulations, it is vital that a reliable CO detection system is in place to ensure residents are alerted when CO levels rise dramatically and are able to seek medical advice as quickly as possible. Honeywell X-Series CO alarms are the perfect solution for detecting carbon monoxide levels as they provide quick, accurate results.
Honeywell X-Series CO Alarms
Honeywell X-Series Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarms were designed to meet the needs of both safety conscious homeowners and professional landlords. Honeywell X-Series CO alarms are easy to install and operate and have the ability to be wirelessly interconnected with X-Series smoke and heat alarms via Honeywell’s wireless plug-in module.
There are three types of Honeywell CO alarm available:
XC70 CO Alarm
A battery-powered alarm with a seven-year lifespan.
XC100 CO Alarm
A battery-powered alarm with a ten-year lifespan and alarm message.
XC100D CO Alarm
A domestic, battery-powered alarm with a ten-year lifespan, alarm message and digital display.
For more information about the Honeywell X-Series Heat and Smoke alarms, or to discuss any of the other products that Eurofyre have to offer, please feel free to get in touch either by phone on +44 (0) 1329 835 024, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via the online enquiry form situated on our contact page.