Following the devastating fire that claimed 71 lives at Grenfell Tower last June, all homes in Scotland will soon be required by law to have a minimum number of working smoke detectors installed.
Following a Consultation on Fire and Smoke Alarms in Scottish Homes, conducted by the Scottish Government, Changes to the Housing (Scotland) Act were announced in March 2018, which are being made to improve home safety for all residents.
The consultation highlighted strong support for a “common new minimum standard for fire and smoke detectors across all housing, regardless of tenure”, and for it to be based on the existing standard that currently only applies to private rented property and new-build housing. This standard is now being extended to cover all homes in Scotland.
What Are the New Requirements?
Amendments to the Housing (Scotland) Act 1987 will require:
- All homes to have at least one smoke alarm installed in the room most frequently used for general daytime living purposes.
- At least one smoke alarm in every circulation space on each storey, such as hallways and landings.
- Have a carbon monoxide detector.
- At least one heat alarm installed in every kitchen.
In addition to this, all alarms should be ceiling mounted and interlinked.
Other changes to the standard were also proposed to specify a maximum age of ten years for alarms.
The Importance of Smoke, Heat and Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Domestic smoke and heat detectors have been proven to significantly reduce casualties and fatalities occurring as a result of fire in the home. Having reliable smoke, heat and CO detection allows occupants of any building more time to evacuate safely in the event of a fire. What’s more, interlinked detection devices can provide an advanced warning of fire and allows even more time to evacuate to safety.
Honeywell X-Series Domestic Smoke Heat and CO Detectors
Honeywell X-Series Smoke, Heat and CO alarms offer a complete residential safety system, whether you are a professional landlord or safety conscious homeowner.
Each battery-powered device has a lifespan of either seven or ten years and provides easy-to-install, reliable, maintenance-free detection with a sleek and modern appearance.
The X-Series range includes a range of smoke and heat detectors:
- XS100 Smoke Alarm – ideal for use in bedrooms and living areas.
- XH100 Heat Alarm – ideal for use in kitchens and garages.
- XS100T Optical Thermal Smoke Alarm – ideal for escape routes, bedrooms and living areas.
There is also a variety of CO alarms available:
- XC70 CO alarm – an entry level CO alarm with a seven-year lifespan and warranty.
- XC100 CO alarm – provides a unique prominent alarm message and has a ten-year lifespan and warranty.
- XC100D CO alarm – provides a unique and prominent alarm as well as a multifunction CO level and display and has a ten-year lifespan and warranty.
Extra Features and Benefits
All of the detectors in the X-Series range can be wirelessly interconnected using the X-Series wireless plug-in module. This means that when one of the alarms detects an issue, all of the connected alarms will sound, providing more time to evacuate the building or investigate the alarm.
Alarm Scan App
The X-Series Alarm Scan App enables users to download logged alarm and fault events wirelessly using any smart device, as well as check the general status of any compatible device. Alarm Scan also offers full-service report functionality.
For more information about the Honeywell X-Series Heat, Smoke and CO alarms, or to discuss any of the other products that Eurofyre have to offer, please feel free to get in touch either by phone on +44 (0) 1329 835 024, by email to email@example.com or via the online enquiry form situated on our contact page.