The UL certification program evaluates the installation of alarm system equipment and the providers of alarm services to verify compliance with applicable codes and UL standards.
There are currently three fire alarm certification categories:
- Central Station Fire Alarm Service (UUFX)
- Local, Remote Station, Proprietary Supervising Station Fire Service (UUJS)
- Proprietary Fire Alarm Monitoring Stations (UUKA)
In order to become a UL listed Company, sample alarm systems are evaluated to determine compliance with the applicable parts of NFPA 72. Once a company has successfully demonstrated compliance, they can be UL listed and can issue UL certificates for protected properties – indicating that the alarm system is installed, serviced, maintained and monitored in compliance with applicable codes and standards.
Introduction to Velocity
The Velocity control panel has been designed to provide an easy-to-install, commission and operate solution to provide reliable life safety and property protection.
Velocity control panels are powerful, intelligent fire alarm control systems that feature a 4.3” touch screen display to make system control functions simple and status information clear. Status information is structured to show the different types of events (alarms, supervisory and trouble) which can be viewed independently. Each system event shows the user a message describing the location of the alarm report and the type of event (manual alarm, smoke or heat). Function buttons on the system’s display allow the user to easily “acknowledge” events, “silence” or “unsilence” building audibles or “reset” the system.
Velocity fire detection systems are entirely modular, enabling them to satisfy the fire alarm needs of any size building. By adding intelligent loop modules, Velocity fire systems can be upgraded to support up to 4000 detectors across flexible SLC loops.
These systems can also be expanded by adding Form C relay output modules, network interface modules, NAC modules and zone monitor class A & B modules for conventional detectors and devices.
At the heart of the Velocity is the 32-bit microcontroller (MCU) that rapidly processes logical decisions based on the status of the smoke detection, and other initiating devices, to control the system outputs.
Velocity Connect, Velocity’s windows-based software configuration tool, is used to configure the system’s operation based on customer specific requirements to reduce commissioning and installation times.
A hardware watchdog circuit is provided to ensure that system programs are functioning properly. If the watchdog circuit detects a problem with the program or processor, it places the system into a trouble condition and resets it. The system is also equipped with a backup microprocessor. If the main processor stops, the backup CPU will take over so the system can still operate effectively.
- Modular construction allows a panel to be specified using just the required modules.
- Up to 4, 6 or 16 SLC modules (depending on panel model).
- 4.3” colour touch screen display.
- Capacity for up to 6 intelligent modules (depending on panel model).
- Full system redundancy.
- Extensive Day/Night mode programming.
- Full cause & effect programming via front of panel or the Velocity Connect PC software.
- 254 Velocity devices per SLC.
- PC configuration software, a mobile monitoring application, a remote annunciator and an LED Expander PCB available.
- Up to 64 panel peer-to-peer network.
- Positive alarm sequence.
- Automatic drift compensation.
- Alarm verification.
- Mains trouble output delay of up to 30 minutes.
- NAC special application 24V mode.
- 5, 10 or 15 AMP PSU available (depending on panel model).
- 254 available programmable zones.
UL 864 10th Edition
Velocity Detection Systems are UL certified and comply with the requirements of Underwriters Laboratories (UL) 864 Control Units and Accessories for Fire Alarm Systems 10th Edition.
UL 864 10th Edition governs the safety of fire alarm systems and equipment, including smoke detectors, sprinkler systems and fire alarms in accordance with the following standards:
- NFPA 12, Carbon Dioxide Extinguishing Systems
- NFPA 12A, Halon 1301 Fire Extinguishing Systems
- NFPA 13, Installation of Sprinkler Systems
- NFPA 15, Water Spray Fixed Systems for Fire Protection
- NFPA 16, Installation of Foam-Water Sprinkler and Foam-Water Spray Systems
- NFPA 17, Dry Chemical Extinguishing Systems
- NFPA 17A, Wet Chemical Extinguishing Systems
- NFPA 70, National Electrical Code
- NFPA 72, National Fire Alarm Code
- NFPA 92A, Recommended Practice for Smoke-Control Systems
- NFPA 92B, Guide for Smoke Management Systems in Malls, Atria, and Large Areas
- NFPA 2001, Clean Agent Fire Extinguishing Systems
Velocity control panels are powerful and sophisticated Analogue Addressable Fire Alarm Control Panels that offer a variety of modular components. This makes them suitable to a wide variety of applications.
Velocity control panels come in red or black and support 6, 10 or 26 intelligent modules.
Control Panel Modules
Velocity control panel modules are designed to be DIN mounted inside a Velocity control panel. There are a variety of modules available including SLC modules, NAC modules, relay modules, network modules and zone monitors. This makes Velocity fire detection systems a truly flexible solution.
Detectors & Bases
There are a variety of different detectors and bases available in the Velocity range to cover a wide range of applications. The range includes addressable smoke, heat and multisensor detectors that can all be paired with standard, low power relay or short circuit isolator bases.
Manual Call Points
The range also includes a resettable manual call point that mimics the feel of breaking glass but is safe to use in areas where glass is not suitable such as food processing plants and common areas. Once triggered, the units can easily be reset using a key which makes them an ideal solution for areas that are prone to a high number of false alarms.
There is also a variety of pull stations available in the Velocity range including dual action and single action pull stations as well as explosion proof pull stations. These are also resettable by key and can be supplied with a weatherproof box for use in external areas.
A variety of interface modules are available within the Velocity range. These include dual input modules, relay dual output modules, short circuit isolators, sounder control modules and conventional zone modules.
The Velocity range features an assortment of notification devices from single or multi-tone sounders and flasher sounders to outdoor strobes.
Using a VL/NWM module, up to 64 Velocity control panels (VIEs) can be networked together. It is recommended that the network is wired as a ring for better fault tolerance, but it can also be configured with bus topology.
Why Choose Eurofyre?
- Authorised Velocity Partner
- Eurofyre is a certified supplier of Velocity UL fire detection systems. This means we can offer expert advice on all products in the Velocity range and deliver specialist support and aftercare.
- Complete System Supplier
- Eurofyre manufactures and supplies all aspects of fire detection and its associated safety products and can provide expert advice and consultation.
- Demonstration and Training
- We offer demonstrations and expert training on a range of systems, including Velocity systems, in our very own sophisticated training facility.
- After-Sales Support
- Eurofyre offers both on-site and telephone support to assist you in ensuring that your system is fully functional and operating at maximum efficiency. Our after-sales care and support are second to none.