- Tailored for functional testing of ASD and smoke detectors
- Adjustable smoke time to suit characteristics of system under test
- Transport time function to monitor ongoing ASD system performance
- In excess of 240 tests
- Approved by world-leading ASD and smoke detector manufacturers
Scorpion is a unique, functional remote smoke detector test system for aspirating smoke detection (ASD) and smoke detectors and that solves a number of long standing challenges, assists compliance with codes and standards and delivers radical time, cost and disruption savings.
Traditional post commissioning testing is generally performed by trying to introduce a test smoke (often of inappropriate suitability or even questionable quality) into individual sampling points or at smoke detectors. Not only can this be highly impractical but it can also contaminate an ASD system or smoke detector chamber. Scorpion offers an approved, benign and effectively non-contaminating test particulate delivered in a controlled and repeatable manner.
With Scorpion permanently positioned at the end of a pipe run or smoke detector, a controlled and consistent stimulus is introduced for each test throughout the system lifetime. By recording the moment of Scorpion activation and the moment of alarm signal, the transport time can be measured. Comparing this against the retained commissioning data, previous tests and acceptable tolerances, judgments can be made regarding the integrity of the aspirating system.
Improved Access Benefits
Connecting a remote Scorpion to a convenient Control Panel means:
- Transportation time evaluation avoids testing every sampling point/smoke detector periodically.
Time and Cost Saving Benefits
- Huge time savings from accessibility gains (even where physical access equipment was not required)
- Repeatable Transport Time integrity evaluations
- Sequential testing of multiple units from a single location delivers radical time savings
- Out of hours working minimized or eliminated
- Physical access equipment costs eradicated
ASD Particle Lifetime
- Suitable for 120 seconds / 100 metre pipe runs
- In excess of 240 tests of 15 seconds of smoke per Scorpion
Suitable ASD technologies
- Light Scatter
- Particle Counting
- Cloud Chamber
- Benign particulate delivered in a controlled and repeatable manner.
- Reduces possibility of overdosing or contaminating detector through excessive stimulant application.
- Approved by world-leading ASD and smoke detector manufacturers.
- Helps comply with national and international standards on test of fire systems.
- Retrofit to existing installations or onto new systems.
- Up to 8 Scorpion heads (ASD or Point) connected to a single Control Panel.
- One head at end of each pipe run or smoke detector.
- Heads located up to 100m* away from the panel.
- Battery powered
|Dangerous to access areas such as top of lift shafts / elevators.|
|24/7 public areas such as airports.|
|Fire door closing systems.|
|Restricted access areas such as prisons, military premises or banks.|
|Continuously operational areas such as manufacturing plants.|
|Hard to access areas such as warehouses.|
|Transport/Storage Temperature||Scorpion Battery Pack: -20°C to 35°C (-4°F to 95°F)|
Scorpion Head Unit: -20°C to 70°C (-4°F to 158°F)
Scorpion Control Panel: -10°C to 50°C (14°F to 122°F)
|Storage Humidity||0-90% RH (non-condensing)|
|Operating Temperature||Scorpion Battery Pack: 5°C to 45°C (41°F to 113°F)|
Scorpion Head Unit: 0°C to 60°C (32°F to 140°F)
Scorpion Control Panel: 5°C to 45°C (41°F to 113°F)
|Operating Humidity||Scorpion Battery Pack: 0-85% RH (non-condensing)|
Scorpion Head Unit: 0-95% RH (non-condensing)
Scorpion Control Panel: 0-85% RH (non-condensing)
|Ingress Protection||Scorpion Battery Pack: IP40|
Scorpion Head Unit: IP20
Scorpion Control Panel: IP40
|Weight||Scorpion Battery Pack: 523g|
Scorpion Head Unit: <200g
Scorpion Control Panel: <500g
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||Scorpion Battery Pack: 139mm x 81mm x 48mm|
Scorpion Head Unit: 155mm x 54mm x 34mm (excluding nozzle)
Scorpion Control Panel: 150mm x 155mm x 37mm
Note: The Scorpion system is designed for specific applications within the above parameters. For additional information regarding
|Safety Features||Scorpions energized only at time of test|
Isolation between Scorpion circuit and detection system
Internal over-current protection on Scorpion circuit
Battery over-current cut-out
|Power Source and Charge Data||Scorpion Battery Pack: NiMH rechargeable nominal 7.2v 2.2Ah|
Solo Battery Baton: NiMH rechargeable nominal 7.2v 2.2Ah
Charging time 75 – 90 minutes (when completely discharged) using Solo-726 charger
|Cabling||Scorpion circuit wiring: FP200 1.5mm², Lapp J-Y(ST) Y 0.5 mm², or equivalent – 4 cores per Head Unit|
Maximum cable length per Scorpion Control Panel – 100 metres (depending on cable used)
Maximum Scorpions per Control Panel – 8